- Exported from MasterCook
So Fine Key Lime Pie
Recipe By : Farewell to Fat, Richard Simmons, page 174
10 Preparation Time :
Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
--Key Lime Pie--
2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup bottled Rose's lime juice
1 whole large egg
1 large egg yolk
--reserve white for meringues, below
14 ounces fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup evaporated skim milk -- well chilled
1 teaspoon grated lime zest -- optional
--Crumb Pie Crust--
1 cup low-fat graham cracker crumbs
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons softened light butter
1 large egg white
1 pinch salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
10 extra-thin fresh lime slices -- for garnish
1. Pie: In small bowl sprinkle gelatin over lime juice. Let stand until
softened, 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve gelatin.
2. In large heat resistant bowl beat whole egg and yolk with electric mixer
until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture and condensed milk. Beat on low speed just to mix.
3. In medium saucepan bring 2 cups water to simmer over medium-high heat.
Place bowl with egg mixture over saucepan, making sure water does not touch
bottom of bowl. Stir egg mixture over simmering water until heated through
and thickened, about 10 minutes. Do not let egg mixture boil.
4. Remove bowl from over saucepan. Cool mixture in bowl. Refrigerate just
until mixture begins to set. Beat again with mixer at high speed until
light and creamy.
5. In small bowl, beat chilled evaporated skim milk with electric mixer
until double in volume. Fold into gelatin mixture with lime zest, if
using, until thoroughly combined.
6. Pour mixture into pie crust. Refrigerate until set.
7. Meringues: Preheat oven to 275 oF. Cover baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. In medium bowl beat egg white and salt until stiff peaks
form. Beat in 3 tablespoons of the sugar gradually until very stiff. Fold
in remaining tablespoon sugar and vanilla.
8. Spoon meringue mixture into a sealable plastic bag. Seal. Snip about 1/4
inch diagonally from one bottom corner. Squeeze bag gently over prepared
baking sheet to force out small dollops of meringue, 3/4 inch in diameter.
Make dollops until mixture is all used, about 10.
9. Bake meringues 40 minutes until dry to touch and lightly colored. With
spatula, lift meringues from paper while still warm. Store in airtight
container at room temperature or freeze tightly in sealed freezer bag. Use
as desired. 10. To serve, arrange lime slices around pie. Top each lime slice with a
Crumb Pie Crust:
In a small bowl or food processor, thoroughly mix 1 cup low-fat
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix in
tablespoons softened light butter until well incorporated. Coat 9-inch pie
plate with nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray. Press crumb mixture
375 oF oven for about minutes or until firm and lightly colored.
Nutrient value per serving of pie:
6 g protein,
7 g fat (27% fat),
34 g carbohydrate,
sodium, 43 mg cholesterol.
Nutrient value per meringue:
0 g protein,
0 g fat,
1 g carbohydrate,
4 mg sodium,
cholesterol. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -