- MMMMM-- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07
Title: Rock Springs Sweet Onion Pizza
1991 Blue Ribbon Winner
1 c Yellow cornmeal
1 1/3 c Cold water, divided into two
-2/3 cups of water
1/4 c Plus
2 tablespoons grated
2 tb Olive oil
3 md Size sweet onions, thinly
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 sm Green pepper, sliced
1 tb Each dried basil and oregano
1/4 ts Black pepper
2/3 c Cooked and drained dark red
2 c Shredded mozzarella cheese
1 c Pizza sauce
From Cathy Dorsey, New River AZ
1. Heat oven to 375
2. In small bowl mix cornmeal with 2/3 cup cold water. in a small saucepan
bring the remaining 2/3 cup of water to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal
mixture to the boiling water. Lower heat and whisk constantly with a fork
until thick. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
3. When cool enough to handle, wet hands and pat cornmeal mixture evenly
into a 12 inch pizza pan or lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Bake cornmeal crust, uncovered for 15 minutes or until it is just
5. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil; add onion,
garlic and green peppers. Cook uncovered for three minutes.
Add basil, oregano, and black pepper. Stir, reduce heat to low, and cook,
covered, for five minutes. Stir in the beans and set aside.
6. Remove the crust from the oven, sprinkle with half of the mozzarella
cheese and half of the remaining Parmesan cheese. Spoon the bean mixture
on top. Pour the pizza sauce evenly over it and scatter the remaining
cheese on top.
7. Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
8. Cut into wedges and serve.
Source: Rock Springs Sweet Onion Festival Cook Book 1992