- Exported from MasterCook
Spicy Vegetable-Cheese Chili
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill
8 Preparation Time :
Categories : Vegetables Casseroles
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups celery -- chopped
1 1/2 cups green bell peppers -- chopped
1 cup chopped onions
3 garlic cloves -- minced
28 ounces tomatoes
28 ounces kidney beans --see note
2 tablespoons green chiles -- chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon parsley -- chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup cashews
1 cup Swiss cheese -- ** see note
Use a combination of canned beans that suit your tastes.
** Substitute cheddar or mozzarella cheese if desired, or omit for truly vegetarian dish.
1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot. Add celery, green pepper, onion and garlic; cook covered until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, drained and rinsed beans, raisins, vinegar, chili powder, green chilies, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, cumin, allspice, pepper, Tabasco and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 1-1/2 hours.
3. Stir in beer and cashews. Return to boiling; simmer uncovered 30 minutes more, or until chili is desired consistency. Remove bay leaf.
4. Sprinkle cheese on each serving.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Serving Ideas : Serve with hot cornbread, biscuits or crusty French bread.