- 1 1/4 c Dried sour cherries (see -Note)
1 c Water
3 T Granulated sugar
1 T Cornstarch
3 T Marsala
1 t Lemon juice
1/3 c Strong coffee --CHOCOLATE CAKE--
1/4 c Boiling water
1/4 c Unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 c Granulated sugar
1/3 c Vegetable shortening
2 lg Eggs
1 t Vanilla extract
1 1/4 c Cake flour
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Baking powder
1/4 t Baking soda
6 T Buttermilk --CREAM-CHEESE FILLING--
1 pk (8-oz) cream cheese, -softened
1/2 c Confectioners' sugar
1 c (1/2 pint) heavy cream Chocolate Meringue Twigs -(recipe follows)
56 Inches decorative ribbon -(opt.) Fresh sweet cherries (opt.)
1. Prepare Dried Cherry Filling: In small saucepan, combine dried cherries, water, and 2 T sugar. Beat mixture to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer cherries until soft and liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and transfer half of cherry mixture to blender or food processor fitted with chopping blade; process until a chunky puree forms. Return pureed mixture to saucepan with remaining dried cherry mixture; add cornstarch and stir until well blended. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring constantly; cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in
1 T Marsala and the lemon juice. Cool to room temperature.
2. Prepare Coffee Syrup: Combine coffee with remaining T sugar and 2 T Marsala; set aside.
3. Prepare Chocolate Cake: In small bowl, stir boiling water and cocoa until smooth; set aside to cool to room temperature. Heat oven to
350'F. Grease a
15 1/2 by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan and line with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
4. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cooled cocoa mixture.
5. Into small bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until batter is smooth. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and bake
18 to 20 minutes or until center springs back when gently pressed. Cool cake in pan on wire rack
10 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack, remove waxed paper, and cool cake completely.
6. Prepare Cream-Cheese Filling: In large bowl, with electric mixer at