- 11 corn (6 inch) tortillas
3 tablespoons blanched almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels
1 1/2 pounds lean boned leg of lamb
cooking spray 1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons seeded jalapeno pepper -- minced
3 garlic doves -- minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup water
43 1/2 ounces no-salt-added whole tomatoes -- undrained and 3 cans 1 ounce sweet baking chocolate -- chopped
45 ounces black beans -- drained
3 cans 1. Preheat oven to
350 oF. 2. Place
6 corn tortillas on a large baking sheet; b ake at
350 oF for 8 minutes or until crisp. Repeat procedure with remaining
5 t ortillas; set aside.
3. Place almonds and sesame seeds on a large baking sheet; bake at
350o for 5 minutes. Add pumpkinseed kernels; bake an additional
1 toasted corn tortilla, almonds, sesame seeds, and pumpkinsee d kernels in a food processor; process until mixture is finely ground. Spoon mi xture into a bowl; set aside.
5. Trim far from leg of lamb; cut lamb into 3/4 i nch cubes. Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray, and place over medium-hi gh hear until hot. Add lamb cubes, and saute
5 minutes or until meat is lightly browned. Drain in a colander, and set aside. Wipe drippings from pat with a pa per towel.
6. Recoat pan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; saute
3 minutes. Add chili powder, cinn amon, cloves, and cumin; saute
7.! ! Place onion mixture in a food processor; add
1/2 cup water, and process until smooth. Return pureed onion mixture to Pan.
8. Place chopped tomatoes in Food p rocessor, and process until smooth. Pour pureed tomatoes into pan. Add ground t ortilla mixture and chocolate to pan, and cook over low heat
4 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring constantly.
9. Return lamb to pan; cover and simmer
1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans; cover and simmer
15 minutes. Serve with remaining toasted tortillas.