- Exported from MasterCook
Portabella Barley Risotto
Recipe By : Parade Magazine from NY Newsday
1 Preparation Time :
Categories : Grains
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms wiped clean with a -- cut in
-- damp cloth
1 medium onion -- coarsely chopped
4 1/2 cups de-fatted vegetable broth
1 cup pearl barley -- rinsed
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary -- crumbled
1/2 cup sweet white wine -- such as Reisling
1/2 cup golden raisins
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley -- for garnish/ chopped
1. Place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium high heat. add the mushroom chunks and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often. Remo
ve the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the on
ion. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring , until onion is softened.
3. While the onion is cooking, bring the vegetable broth to a boil, in a medium
sized saucepan. reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
4. Add the barley, allspice and rosemary to the onion. Raise the heat to medium
-high and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, making sure the barley is evenly coated
with the oil. add the wine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, or until it is ne
5, Add the hot broth to the barley mixture,
1/2 cup at a time; cook stirring fr
equently, over medium heat until each addition of broth is absorbed into the ba
rley before adding the next.
6. when the barley is tender and nearly all the broth has been absorbed about 4
5 minutes, stir in the reserved mushrooms and the raising. Cook a few minutes l
onger- until risotto reaches desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper t
o taste. Serve immediately, sprinkling each portion with chopped parsley.
scanned by sooz - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -