- -- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: BEIGNETS WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
Categories: Cajun, Desserts
Yield: 6 servings
1/4 c Water,warm (105-115'F.)
1 pk Active dry yeast
4 Eggs,at room temperature
1/2 c Butter or margarine,softened
1/3 c Sugar
2 t Orange rind,grated
1 T Rum
1/2 t Salt
4 c Flour,all-purpose
3/4 c Brown sugar,light
1/4 c Corn syrup,light
1 T Butter or margarine
1/4 c Half-and-half
1/2 t Vanilla
1. Measure warm water into large warm bowl.
2. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until softened.
3. Add eggs, butter, sugar, orange rind, rum, vanilla and salt; beat until
4. Gradually mix in 3 1/2 cups flour until smooth.
5. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead in remaining 1/2 cup flour
6. Cover; refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
7. Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface and divide in
8. Roll out each half to 3/8-inch thickness; cut into 1 3/4-inch rounds.
9. Cover; let stand 20 minutes.
10. In large skillet, heat oil (1 inch deep) to 375'F.
11. Fry beignets 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both
12. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
13. Serve warm with Butterscotch Sauce.
** BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE **
1. Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half and vanilla.
4. Serve warm. --