- **HUMMUS-TAHINI SPREAD** 16 oz garbanzos
2 tablespoons tahini -- (sesame paste)
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh pressed garlic
OR prepared garlic paste 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste **SHALLOT-MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE** 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups pure olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
salt and pepper to taste **VEGGIES** 1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
2 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
1 head fennel
3 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup pure olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
12 slices walnut bread or bread of choice --
6 slices if large
1. Drain garbanzos, reserving liquid.
2. Blend first
5 ingredients in food processor or blender, adding enough liquid to mix.
3. Season to taste. For the Vinaigrette:
1. Mix vinegar and mustard in a stainless steel bowl.
2. Add olive oil in a steady stream, beating with wire whisk until well blended
3. Add shallots and season to taste. For the Sandwich:
1. Start heating grill. Cut peppers into eighths, removing seeds and stems.
2. Cut zucchini, squash, & fennel lengthwise into slices
1/4 inch thick &
2 inc hes wide.
3. Remove stems from portobello mushrooms.
4. Place with vegetables in bowl and lightly coat with olive oil; add thyme and rosemary.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Lightly brush bread with olive oil. Grill bread until toasted on each side.
7. Grill vegetables
4 to 5 minutes on each side until browned and crisp-tender. Keep warm. To assemble sandwiches:
1. Spread hummus on bread, top with vegetables, and drizzle vinaigrette on vege tables.
2. Garnish with alfalfa sprouts and serve with your favorite potato salad.
6 large or 12 small open-faced sandwiches.
From the recipe files of Recipe Lu <recpelu