- Exported from MasterCook
Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
Recipe By : Pasquale Bruno, Jr.
6 Preparation Time :
Categories : Pizza
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
1 cup warm water --
1 envelope active dry yeast --
2 1/5 teaspoons
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups flour, all-purpose (unbleached)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup corn oil
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage -- casing removed
2 cans plum tomatoes -- drained
2 cloves garlic -- peeled and pressed
1 teaspoon dried oregano -- crumbled
1 teaspoon dried basil -- crumbled
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese -- cut in
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese -- fresh
Salt and pepper -- to taste
1. To make the dough: Pour water into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast
over water. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Add flour and salt; stir to combine. Add corn oil and mix until a dough
is formed. Knead by hand or in a heavy-duty mixer with a dough hook at least
6 to 7 minues, until completely smooth and satiny.
made in the food processor, but use cool water.)
3. Lightly dust a large bowl with flour. Place dough in the bowl, dust the
top with a little flour, and cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
Let stand on the kitchen counter for 20 minutes. Refrigerate overnight.
4. The next day, lightly oil a 14-inch pizza pan that is 2 inches deep with
the 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Place the dough in the center of the pan.
Using your palms, stretch and push the dough toward the edge of the pan (as
the dough warms up, it will be easier to stretch). Pull the dough up the
side of the pan, pressing it against the side with your fingers (only about 1/4-inch of the pan sides should be showing
and set aside. (The dough can be made to this point and held, covered, about 1 hour until the topping is ready.)
5. To make the topping: Cook sausage in a saute pan over medium heat,
breaking it up and pressing it with the back of a wooden spoon to from large,
thick chunks, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Drain excess
grease from pan. Set sausage aside.
6. Place tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Crush completely with your hands and 2 cups.
garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper; stir. Set aside.
7. Arrange mozzarella slices, overlapping them slightly, over the crust.
Spread tomato mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and arrange sausage evenly over tomatoes.
8. Bake on the bottom rack of a preheated 450-degree oven until the crust is
18 to 20 minutes. Let
stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : In the topping, try pepperoni slices, bell pepper, onion or mushrooms, alone or in combination, at your discretion.