- Exported from MasterCook II
Recipe By : Somesh Rao
1 Preparation Time :
Categories : Indian Lamb
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
3 lbs lean boneless lamb
3 meaty lamb bones
4 tbsps light vegetable oil
1/4 cub cider vinegar
3 tbsps tamarind pulp
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 big white onion
6 garlic cloves
2 tbsps fresh ginger root, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground mustard
3 tsps turmeric
1 1/2 tsps red pepper
3 tsps paprika
2 1/2 cups hot water
1. Cut lamb into 3/4 inch cubes
2. Place lamb and the bones in a non-metallic bowl with the four
tbsps of oil, the vinegar,tamarind pulp, and salt. Let it
marinate at room temperature for eight hours or, refrigerated, for twenty four hours.
3. Put two tbsps of oil, plus the onion, garlic, and ginger, in
the container of an electric blender or food processor and run the
machine until a fine pasty puree is formed.
4. Heat the one-half cup of vegetable oil in a large enamel coated
skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until they
are caramel brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
5. Add the puree. Reduce the heat and add ground cumin, ground
mustard, turmeric, red pepper, and paprika. When the spices begin to
sizzle and turn dark, in about 15 seconds, add the lamb and bones.
Cook until slightly seared about ten minutes.
6. Add the water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer,
partially covered, until the meat is very tender, about thirty
7. Pick out and discard bones.
8. Serve over rice. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -