- 1/3 c Raisins,golden
3 T Rum
1/2 c Sugar
1 pk Active dry yeast(1/4 oz)
1/2 c Water,warm(105-115')
6 T Butter,softened(3/4 stick)
2 T Vanilla
3 T Milk,powdered
3/4 t Salt
1/8 t Saffron,ground
4 3/4 c Flour,all-purpose
1/4 c Almonds,slivered
1/4 c Orange peel,chopped,candied
--SUGAR GLAZE-- 1 c Confectioners' sugar
Reserved soaking rum 2 t Lemon juice
1 t Water
1. Soak raisins in rum for at least 30 or overnight.
2. Combine 1/2 teaspoon sugar along with yeast and water in small bowl. Let
3. Beat together remaining sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, powdered milk,
2 cups of the flour and 1 tablespoon of soaking rum, beating for 2 minutes at high speed.
4. Drain raisins and reserve rum for glaze. Stir raisins, almonds and 5 minutes.
5. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover; let rise in warm
1 1/2-2 hours, until doubled. Grease well two
1 lb. coffee cans. Line bottoms with rounds of waxed paper.
6. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Punch down; knead a few turns.
1 1/2 hours, or until it has risen to top of can.
7. Preheat oven to moderate (350'F). Brush tops of breads lightly with
8. Bake in lower third of preheated moderate over (350'F) for 35-40 minutes
25 minutes and tent with foil if browning too quickly.
9. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the bread from the cans, supporting
top of bread and twisting off can. Cool upright on wire rack to room temperature. Drizzle glaze over breads. Garnish with candied orange peel and slivered almonds, if you wish. SUGAR GLAZE: Stir together confectioners' sugar, reserved soaking rum, lemon juice and water as need, in small bowl until good drizzling consistency.