- -- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
Title: Cannoli Cake--Part 1
Categories: Cakes, Chocolate
Yield: 16 servings
6 Eggs; lrg.
1 c Sugar
1/4 c All-purpose flour
1 tb Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Vanilla extract
2 Oranges; lgr.
2 tb Orange-flavor liqueur
Optional 32 oz Conta ricotta cheese
8 oz Cream cheese; softened
1 c Confectioner's sugar
1/4 c Semi-sweet chocolate pieces
Mini pieces; plus
1/3 c Semi-sweet chocolate pieces
See recipe below
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. In sm. bowl, with mixer at high
speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually
sprinkle in 1/2 cup sugar, beating until sugar completely
dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks.
2. In lrg. bowl, using same beaters and with mixer at low
speed, beat egg yolks, flour, baking powder, salt,
1/2 cup sugar,
1 tsp. vanilla and 2 tbsp. water
until blended. With rubber spatula, gently fold beaten egg
whites into egg-yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time.
3. Spoon batter into ungreased 10x3 springform pan.
Bake 30-35 mins. until cake is golden and top springs back
when lightly touched. The cake is a sponge cake.
4. Invert cake in pan on wire rack; cool completely in pan.
5. From oranges, grate 2 tsp. peel and squeeze 1/3 cup
juice (if not using liqueur, increase juice to 1/2 cup)
Stir liqueur into juice; set aside. I substituted 1/2 cup
orange juice from carton, mixed with 2 tsp. dried orange
see part 2 --