- Exported from MasterCook
2 Preparation Time :
Categories : Breads Italian
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoon Salt
2 package Active dry yeast
5 cup All-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Butter or margarine
(42 min left), (H)elp, More? 1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 2 cups flour. In 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat butter or margarine and 1 3/4 cups water until very warm (120ø to 130ø F.)
mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients until just
blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl
with rubber spatula.
3. Beat in 1/2 cup flour to make thick batter; continue beating mixture at
medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula. With
1 3/4 cups
4. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, (42 min
10 minutes, adding flour while kneading.
5. Cut dough in half; cover pieces with bowl; let dough rest for 20 minutes
for easier shaping.
6. Grease large cookie sheet; sprinkle cookie sheet with cornmeal.
7. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll each half into 15 by
10 rectangle. From
15 side, tightly roll dough, jelly-roll fashion; pinch
seam to seal.
8. Place loaves, seam side down, on cookie sheet and taper ends. Brush
2 to 24 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 425ø F. Meanwhile, remove loaves from (42 min left),
10 minutes. Cut 3 or diagonal slashes on top of each loaf. Bake 20 minutes.
10. In small bowl with fork, beat egg white with 1 tablespoon of water.
Remove loaves from oven; brush with egg-white mixture; return to oven and bake
Contributed by Wesley ("Ain't no beans in *MY* chili") Pitts - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -