- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, picked clean -- shredded by hand 1 1/2 cups red potatoes -- cooked and diced
2 medium roasted red bell peppers -- diced
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves -- chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice salt and pepper -- to taste
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, ground in a coffee or spice grinder
1 teaspoon Oriental sesame oil salt and pepper -- to taste
1 tablespoon light olive oil (not virgin or extra-virgin) -- Black Bean Sauce:
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon fresh ginger -- minced
1/4 cup fermented black beans -- well rinsed, chopped
1 cup fish stock, clam juice, or water
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar, or more to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with
1 tablespoon cold water -- Tomato Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup shallots -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
4 large tomatoes, firm, ripe and meaty, peeled, -- seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves -- slivered
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a large bowl, combine first
11 ingredients (through the first salt and pepper) and toss gently with two forks until well mixed.
3. Shape the crab mixture into 6 large patties. Place on a rack in a broiler pan, brush with the olive oil, and broil until golden, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn on the other side and broil for 5 minutes more.
4. Place each patty on a plate and spoon
1/4 cup of the black bean sauce on one side of the patty and 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce on the other. Black Bean Sauce (Makes 1 1/2 cups):
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, ginger and black beans. Cook, stirring gently for 1 minute.
2. Add the fish stock (or clam juice, or water), soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Tomato Sauce (makes 1 1/2 cups):
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.