- 1 c Unsifted unsweetened cocoa
2 c Boiling water
2 3/4 c Sifted flour
2 t Baking soda
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Baking powder
1 c Butter, softened
2 1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 t Vanilla Frosting:
6 oz Semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c Light cream
1 c Butter
2 1/2 c Confectioners sugar Filling:
1 c Heavy cream, chilled
1/4 c Confectioners sugar
1 t Vanilla
1. In medium bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water, mixing with wire whisk until smooth. Cool completely. Sift flour with soda, salt and powder. Preheat oven to
350. Grease well and lightly flour three
9X1 1/2" layer cake pans.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high spee, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla, scraping bowl occasionally, until light, about 5 minutes. At low speed, beat in flour mixture, in fourths, alternating with cocoa mixture, in thirds, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
3. Divide evenly into pans; smooth top. Bake
25 to 30 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen sides with spatula; remove from pans; cool on racks.
4. Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, cream and butter; stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat. With whisk, blend in
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar. In bowl set over ice, beat until it holds shape.
5. Filling: Whip cream with sugr and vanilla; refrigerate.
6. To assemble cake: On plate, place a layer, top side down; spread with half of cream. Place second layer, top side down; spread with remaining cream. Place third layer, top side up.
7. To frost: With spatula, frost sides first, covering whipped cream; use rest of frosting on top, swirling decoratively. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.