Ingredients Jump to Instructions ↓

  1. sour cream mixture - 50

Instructions Jump to Ingredients ↑

  1. Recipe Instructions Put the ginger, garlic and 4 tablespoons of water into the container of an electric blender. Blend well into a smooth paste. Heat oil in a wide, heavy pot over a medium-high flame. Brown meat cubes in several batches and set aside in a bowl. DO NOT use high heat as this will cause the pan dripping, which have lots of flavor, to burn. While the meat is browning combine the cardamom seeds, the blcak pepper corns, cinnimon, corriander seeds, cumin seeds and cloves in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. When all the meat is browned, pour off all but about 2 tbs of the oil and then all the bay leaves and the ground spices to the hot oll. Stir once and wait until the bay leaves begin to take on color. This just takes a few seconds. Now put in the onions. Stir and fry for 5 minutes or until the onions turn a medium-brown color. Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the paprika, cayenne, and half the salt. Stir fry for another 30 seconds. Add the browned meat cubes and the meat juices. Now add 2 cups of the lamb stock and bring the contents of the pot to a boil, scraping in all the browned spices on the sides and bottom of the pot. Cover the pot and turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour or until meat is tender. Every 10 minutes give the pot a good stir to prevent burning. When the meat is tender, take off the lid, turn the fire to medium high and boil off some of the liquid, stirring all the time, until the sauce is thickened. Remove the pot from the heat and add the yogurt/sour cream mixture 1 tbs at a time until all the yogurt/sour cream mixture is added. Sprinkle the garam masala and black pepper over the dish and mix them in just before you serve it. Lamb stock: I buy a lamb leg roast and cut it up into 1-inch cubes the day before I make this dish. Then I take all the trimmings and the bone and brown them in a pan. Next I add 2 cups of water and let it simmer for 2 hours. I strain the stock into a bowl and put it in the refrigerator over night. The next morning, I remove the congeled fat layer from the surface of the stock.


Send feedback