- Exported from MasterCook
Bread Machine Pumpkin Spice Bagels - Regular Size Batch
Recipe By : More Electric Bread
5 Preparation Time :
Categories : Abm Breakfast
Electric Bread Bread
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
1/4 cup water -- lukewarm
1 tablespoon water -- lukewarm
2 cups white bread flour
4 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tablespoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1. Insert ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's instruction
20 to 30 minutes.
2. Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 5 parts. Form balls, gently
press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
3. While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Drop test dough (see hints below).
4. Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on
1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack
1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
5. Bake at 400 on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden - appro
ximately 15 minutes.
** Bagel Success Hints
** When forming the bagels, set aside two 1/4 balls of dough. When the bagels
have doubled in size, drop the test dough into boiling water. The dough shoul
d pop to the top right away. When this happens, it is time to boil the bagels.
** A quick spray of non-stick vegetable coating on the top of the bagel may be substituted for the egg wash.
** To make bagel sticks, cut bagel before rising and lay out in a straight line
Roll sticks in a combination of sesame and poppy seeds with a pinch of garl
ic powder. Let sticks rise, boil, and bake as described in the above direction
** To make bagel chips, slice leftover bagels horizontally into thin slices. B
ruish with butter or margarine on one side. Lay (butter side up) on an ungreas
325 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -