- Exported from MasterCook
Egg and Beansprout Risotto (Bulgar Wheat)
Recipe By : Tesco Recipe Collection, Issue Four 1997
4 Preparation Time :
Categories : Light Meal Main Courses
New Pulses And Grains
Rice Try This Soon!
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
4 large eggs
1 large onion -- finely sliced
1 green pepper -- deseeded and sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
125 g mushrooms -- sliced
225 g Cracked (bulgar) wheat
400 g canned premium chopped tomatoes
450 ml vegetable stock made with a stock cube
200 g beansprouts
4 tbsp satay stir-fry sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh coriander leaves to garnish -- optional
1. Place the eggs in pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes until hard-boiled. Drain, crack the shells immediately, then keep under running cold water until cool. Leave in a bowl until required. 2. Cook the onion and pepper in the oil in a large frying pan for 3-4 minutes until they are soft. Add the mushrooms and cracked wheat, stir everything well, then add the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes until the wheat is nicely puffed up and the stock has almost all been absorbed.
4. Meanwhile, shell the eggs, roughly chop three and cut the remaining one into quarters and set aside.
5. Add the chopped eggs to the wheat mixture and satay sauce and heat for 2-3 minutes. 6. Season well with salt and pepper, then turn the risotto into a warmed serving dish and garnish with the remaining egg and some fresh coriander leaves, if using.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : This ‘risotto' is actually made with bulgar, or cracked wheat, which cooks much more quickly than rice. For extra crunch you could always add a handful of dry-roasted peanuts just before serving. It makes a tasty but economical lunch or supper dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cost per serving: 90p