- 5 oz Unsweetened chocolate,
4 ts Vanilla extract
10 tb Unsalted butter, cut into 3 lg Eggs, at room temperature -tablespoons
3/4 c Plus
2 tablespoons sifted 1 1/3 c Granulated sugar -all-purpose flour
1/8 ts Salt
1/2 c Coarsely chopped walnuts --MOCHA FUDGE FROSTING--
4 oz Semisweet chocolate,
2 tb Light corn syrup -coarsely chopped
1 tb Unsalted butter, softened
2 ts Vanilla extract
2 ts Cognac or dark rum
3/4 ts Instant coffee granules -
1/3 c Evaporated milk
1/2 c Coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to
325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil so that the foil extends
2 inches beyond two opposite sides of the pan. Fold the overhang down along the outside of the pan. Lightly butter the bottom of the foil-lined pan.
2. In the top of a double boiler set over hot, not simmering, water, melt the chocolate with the butter, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove the top part of the double boiler from the bottom and transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Let the chocolate mixture cool for about 10 minutes, or until tepid.
3. Add the sugar and salt to the tepid chocolate mixture. Using a hand-held electric mixer set at low speed, beat the mixture for 15 to 20 seconds, until blended. Scrape the bottom and side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the corn syrup and the vanilla.
4. One at a time, add the eggs, beating for no longer than
5 seconds after each addition. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the walnuts.
5. Scrape the batter into the pan and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly creamy. Do not overbake the brownies. Cool the brownies completely in the pan set on a wire rack. Make the mocha fudge frosting:
1. In a small cup, stir together vanilla and coffee granules.
2. Melt the