- Exported from MasterCook II
Moussaka di Mare (Eggplant and Tuna)
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill
6 Preparation Time :
Categories : Ethnic Vegetables
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -- -- --
6 tablespoons margarine
1 onion -- chopped
1 garlic clove -- minced
tomatoes, canned -- 16-oz can
14 ounces tuna, canned -- two cans
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
3 large eggs -- beaten
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Use tuna packed in water if you prefer, or 1 can of each type of tuna.
1. Wash, then slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle slices
with salt and let stand 15 minutes. Pat the slices dry, then place on an
oiled baking sheet.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a skillet, add about 2 tablespoons
oil then brush eggplant with half of this mixture. Bake the eggplant in a
350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic until limp and tender. Add the drained tomatoes, tuna, tomato paste, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon
salt and pepper. Mix well. Heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
4. Melt remaining margarine in a saucepan; stir in flour and 1/4
teaspoon salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk slowly and stir until the mixture
boils and thickens. Gradually pour the hot sauce into the 3 beaten eggs,
stirring constantly, then add the cheese and blend well.
5. Arrange half the eggplant slices in a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Cover with tuna mixture, then top with remaining eggplant slices. Pour the
cheese mixture on top.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven 40 minutes or until golden brown. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -